- The whirring and cooing of the Logos Bird stopped abruptly, and the aircraft started to plummet toward earth. “There’s no time to lose!” cried Tegan, who opened the escape hatch. Ruggiero, beaming with pride, volunteered to cast feather fall. “Our hero!” cried Marielle saucily, as she flew out the hatch using her boots of flying. That’s when the first fireball hit, thanks to one of the small green devils on the ground. Copernicus was reduced to 6 hit points, and flew away in a panic. Paljaksu began to crow in triumph, when suddenly he pitched forward in midair, having suffered five attacks from a flying invisible attacker, nearly killing him. “Invisibility?” cried Juno Nim. “How unsporting. Those bastards!!”
- [Battle description to come … Bottom line, Marielle and Paljaksu were killed in our fight with a bunch of demons, but we killed most of them and drove one off. They were very fast, and we obviously need to buff all the way!] Continuing stuff here…
- Suddenly, a bright sunbeam burst through the castle window, overcoming the dusky color of the evening sky. Billy looked up from the scroll the Archbishop was holding to see the slightly translucent figure of a healthy man with blond curly hair and a beard. “Pelor?? The Shining One??” gasped Clement. “INDEED, MY SON!” cried the apparition. Pelor explained that he was here to heal the party and to support Clement in a mishap-free resurrection of Marielle. Soon, the radiant sorceress’ eyes fluttered open and the pink of health returned to her cheeks. “What happened?” she asked groggily. Ruggiero enfolded her in a passionate embrace.
- The apparition of Pelor spread his hands and smiled benevolently at Les Cinq. “MY BELOVED CHILDREN,” He said, “LET ME GRANT YOU THE BOON OF TWO ADDITIONAL DIVINATIONS. We formed a huddle and thought up two questions to ask.
“How is the machine protected?”
THIS MACHINE OF POWER AND LAW
IS ENTWINED WITH SCALE AND CLAW
KILL THE BEAST, WE’LL LAUGH AND FEAST.
“What’s our best tactic for saving Hrotsvitha?”
YOUR CHESS OPPONENT’S WISE AND MEAN
HE’S WON THREE BATTLES. IT’S TOO LATE.
ALAS, TO SACRIFICE A QUEEN
IS ALL THAT’S LEFT TO ACHIEVE CHECKMATE
- Clement scratched his head as the image of the deity faded. “I was never much good at chess,” he confessed. “I remember that Copernicus enjoyed beating my brother at that game. Any thoughts, Copernicus?” The little brown owl shrugged his feathered shoulders. Tegan rubbed her chin, lost in thought.
- “Can we talk about this later?” whined Marielle. “I’m STARVING! Dying really takes it out of a girl.” Ruggiero stroked her elbow soothingly. “Absolutely, dearest. We must restore you to full strength in time for the harvest moon ritual. I feel that the DiOrb of Sudoryx will help us win this hellish game of chess that ‘The Master’ has initiated. Incidentally, Clement, I was captain of the chess team at wizard school and could show you a few moves. The Ruy Lopez opening is particularly devastating…” Juno Nim rolled his eyes as the six survivors headed in to the great hall for dinner. The delicious aromas wafting down the hall inspired a double handspring from Billy.
Next time: The harvest moon ritual, plans to save a goddess, and an opportunity to KILL Dendritius!